Montenegro Citizenship by Investment Programme
Montenegro is a Balkan country with rugged mountains, medieval villages and a narrow strip of beaches along its Adriatic coastline. The Bay of Kotor, resembling a fjord, is dotted with coastal churches and fortified towns such as Kotor and Herceg Novi. Durmitor National Park, home to bears and wolves, encompasses limestone peaks, glacial lakes and 1,300m-deep Tara River Canyon.
In 2006 Montenegro’s parliament declared independence from the State Union of Serbia and Montenegro. In 2008, the new country applied for EU membership. The accession negotiations with Montenegro started on 29 June 2012.
MONTENEGRO Citizenship by Investment
The Citizen by Investment program of Montenegro was officially announced as a new economic citizenship scheme on Oct 1, 2018 for foreign investors. The decision came into force on Jan 1, 2019 and will apply until Dec 31, 2021, and offers investment citizenship to 2000 foreign investors.
FActs about MONTENEGRO
Location: Balkan State in Southeast Europe
Population: 622,000 (2017)
Currency: Euro (EUR)
Size: 13,812 km² (5,333 sq mi)
Life Expectancy: 77 years old
GDP: $5.44 billion
GDP per capita: $8,711
Timezone: UTC +1/+2 (daylight savings time)
Climate: Average yearly temperature 15.5°C
Airport: Podgorica Airport (TDG)
UNESCO World Heritage Sites: 4
Benefits of Montenegrin Citizenship
- The Montenegro passport is the 47th strongest in the world. It offers visa-free or visa-on-arrival travel to 122 destinations including Europe’s Schengen Area, Russia, and Turkey.
- Citizenship in a country that is an official EU candidate country (expected in 2025).
- Citizenship in a member state of the European Monetary Union, the NATO Alliance, OSCE, and the WTO.
- Porto Montenegro; is a world-famous yachting centre.
- Political and economic stability, with a business-oriented government.
Eligibility fOR cITIZENSHIP
- Be a least 18 years of age;
- Contribute to the Montenegrin Government (please see below for more information);
- Be a person of good standing with no criminal record;
- Proof of funds as well as the source in which they were obtained.
What is the Application Process?
Submissions for Citizenship must go though an authorised agent. The government will then process the application and offer citizenship if successful.
Step 2 - Application
You must complete and apply for Citizenship (accompanied by the applications for any dependents). The government will perform initial checks and issue an acknowledgement within four to six months.
Step 2 - Contribution
Once the application has been accepted, the government will issue a letter of approval in principle together with an invoice for the balance of the contribution to the government-approved project or development of your choosing.
Step 3 - Citizenship
The certificate(s) of naturalisation will be issued if all relevant requirements have been satisfied. Passports can subsequently be issued.
What Are the Fees and Contributions?
When considering the merits of applications for the Montenegro Citizenship by Investment Programme, you should be aware of all the relevant application fees.
The following official Montenegro Citizenship by Investment Fees are payable in respect of each person.
There are two routes to choose from to qualify for the Montenegro Citizenship by Investment Programme:
- An investment of €450,000 to projects in developed areas (South Montenegro)
- An investment of €250,000 to projects in underdeveloped areas (North Montenegro)
There will also be a €100,000 Government fee that will be sent to a special fund for the advancement of underdeveloped areas.
Due Diligence Fees
- Main Applicant – €15,000
- Each additional applicant up to four persons – €10,000 each
- Each additional applicant after that – €50,000 each
How to Apply
If you’re interested in applying for Montenegro Citizenship, complete the simple enquiry form below and one of our Senior Consultants will reach out to you for an initial brief. In this call we will discuss your requirements, situation and potential opportunities to explore.
We look forward to hearing from you.